Sunday, November 28, 2010

Still have some leftovers? Try these Turkey Dinner "Pasties"

Turkey Dinner

So yesterday was my 27th birthday! A friend told me that since my age and birth date are the same it's my Golden Birthday! Never heard of that, but I thought I'd  try to make it special.

The night before I was brainstorming what to do with the leftovers. Turkey salad, turkey soup, turkey pot pie, turkey sandwiches, etc etc ran through my mind. All sounded amazing, but I wanted something different. So remembering back to a post I read on an online expat forum I visit, a girl asked about how to make the perfect cornish pasty (the 'a' sounds like the 'a' in cat). Cornish Pasties orginates from Cornwall, England and is also known in Michigan, USA. It's an amazing dough typically made with lard or suet as the fat and filled with steak and vegetables, and the pastry is crimped all pretty-like. I did not have any lard as I planned this last minute. I thought maybe I could do butter and shortening, but I was all out of shortening as well. Luckily I had 4 stick of butter in the freezer! Instead of using steak and veg, I used some leftover Thanksgiving sides and turkey and thought I combine those and made a bacon gravy, and leftover compound butter.  I also SUCK at crimping. Something I will continue to practice at, but for now,  pinching and a fork will do!! So these are not traditional pasties hence the quotation marks! It was fun making my first meat pie, though!

Turkey Dinner

They tasted amazing I only wish I had made mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes to complete it!!!

If you don't have time to make the pastry, use puff pastry dough. This dough can also be used for pot pies!!! If Santa buys me pots I will use this dough recipe. It's so delicious, buttery, and flaky! nomnom

Turkey Dinner "Pasties"
Pasty Dough adapted from Emeril Lagasse
 butters
For the Short-crust Pastry:


2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar

1 teaspoon salt

7 ounces cold butter ( shredded frozen butter)

1 egg yolk

12 tablespoons cold water (more as needed)

Filling
3 cups worth of leftovers- i used turkey (white and dark meat) stuffing, cranberry chutney, and vichy carrots

About 3/4 cup of gravy of choice- I made bacony-herb gravy. Recipe follows

Herbs of your choice- i used fresh thyme, sage, and chives

Compound butter- optional

Bacony Sage Gravy
2 tablespoons bacon fat

4 tablespoons flour

1 cup hot chicken/turkey stock

salt & pepper

1/4 cup heavy cream

1 teaspoon dried sage

Directions
Sift the flour, confectioners' sugar, and salt into a mixing bowl
pasty dough

Add the butter. Using your fingers, 2 knives, or a pastry blender, cut the butter and lard into the dry ingredients until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
pasty dough


 In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk and water together
egg water

Add to the flour mixture
pasty dough

 Mix quickly, but thoroughly, until mixture just comes together to form a dough.
pasty dough

 Knead briefly until pastry is smooth with no cracks; the trick to making this delicate pastry easy to work with is kneading it just enough so that it can be rolled out and manipulated without breaking but yet retains its lovely crumbly texture. Press into a flattened disk shape and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight before proceeding.
All butter pasty dough




Remove the pastry from the refrigerator and unwrap. Allow to soften slightly, then place on a lightly floured work surface and roll the pastry to a thickness of 1/4-inch. Using a small plate or saucer as a guide, cut out 6 (6-inch) rounds. (Scraps may be combined and reformed if you cannot get 6 rounds out of the first batch.)
work

 Stack the pastry rounds onto pieces of plastic wrap or parchment paper (with pieces between each round to keep them from sticking together) and refrigerate while you prepare the filling.

round




Filling & Gravy

First prepare gravy by mixing fat and flour in a small saucepan. Cook over medium low until mixed well and a little browned. Add hot stock slowly whisking vigourously until smooth. Mixture will thicken as it cooks. Add salt and pepper, heavy cream and sage. Allow to cool.

 BDAY1

Make filling using whatever herbs, sides, and meat you want. Make sure its about 3 cups worth!
Turkey Dinner

Add gravy and mix
pre mix 
filling mixed with gravy

Assemble
Workstation
Remove the pastry circles from the refrigerator.Place the pastry circles on a clean work surface and place about 1/2 cup of the filling in the center of 1 side of the pastry. Add a knob of butter if you like!
Filling


Using the beaten egg, brush the edges of the pastry and then bring the unfilled side over the filled side so that edges meet.Press edges together to seal and then crimp using your fingers or a fork.
Seal
 Repeat with the remaining turnovers and then transfer to a baking sheet. Brush the tops of the turnovers with the remaining egg and then cut several slits into the top of each pastry.
pre-tan
Pre-Tan
 Bake for 20 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown around the edges. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F and continue to bake until the pasties are golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Turkey Dinner

The Husband enjoying. He says he looks goofy here hehe
Mr. Yummy enjoying

Turkey Day

Of course I made myself cake. Well more like Peanut Buttery Chocolatey Cupcakes with....a Peanut Buttery Chocolatey Drizzle...
Double Peanut and Chocolate Cupcakes with a Peanut Butter-Chocolate Drizzle

38 comments:

  1. Woooow those look amazing! When I went to London for the first time..the first thing I tried was a pasty..sooooo good. I've always wanted to make my own..bookmarked this one : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SOMMER!! Yeah it's your golden b-day, how fun:) I hope you had a really nice day and it looks like you made such a delicious meal to celebrate. I love pasties and yours really look delicious. I'm also so bad at crimping so I use those little molds that you can use as a cutter and then fold and press the pattern. Your 1st and 2nd photo looks so rustic, and just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for leftovers. They look so delicious and flaky. A compact way of getting your after-thanksgiving fix. I'll have to keep this in mind for leftovers from family parties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you had a wonderful birthday.

    Fantastic idea for using up leftovers, they look really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did a fabulous job crimping! Better than I would do. And a very creative and tasty way to use those leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THose look sooooo good! Happy Belated B-day. Looks like you gave yourself a very good b-day present; a new recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful birthday Sommer!! My mom is Danish and makes pasties for us on special occasions. She grew up in California Gold Country and when she was little her grandmother used to make pasties for the men to go into the mines. We love them! Never had quite the twist like yours though, I will definitely try that!

    And, those cupcakes??? Wow!!
    Happy Birthday again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Belated Birthday! You are still a baby! I wish I had some leftovers left to make these, they sound so good. Might have to get more turkey. I love the cupcakes you made yourself, good choice.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a fantastic idea and I can see that your family (esp your husband) enjoying the pasties very much.

    Btw, Happy Belated Birthday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow those look amazing Sommer! I love how creative you are! Thanks for all the wonderful ideas and tips and inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. these look sooooo good! they were such a great idea! i wish i would have thought of them!!!

    hope you and the kiddos and the husband had a great thanksgiving!!! oh and happy birthday too !! lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous idea to use more than one leftover! They look delicious and so flaky!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday Sommer! Hope your day was everything you hoped for :o) The pasties look fantastic, what an awesome idea for leftovers! Wish I would have looked earlier, but I'm definitely bookmarking this recipe for next year :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You had me at 2 tablespoons of bacon fat! Jeez it was so much easier turning Vegetarian when I was in my early 20's living in San Francisco on lower Haight. I lasted many years until the craving for meat overtook me with my pregnancy. So I am back at it again and sneak over hear to drool on my keyboard!! That recipe looks delish! Will let you know when the "other" blog is up! Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belated birthday to you! These look and sound delicious! LOVELY photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday Sommer! If I was there I would have made you a cake my friend! However, your treat looks delicious! That is a great idea with the turkey leftovers! You are amazing! You have such a great blog that always leaves me hungry for your fabulous recipes! Thank you for all of your coments. My laptop is not working, so I am catching up now. I hope you are doing great!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday. That's a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is amazing! ur a genius...and happy bday!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone!!!

    Haha- thanks mr. pineapple man!

    ReplyDelete
  20. you've definitely made the best use out of your leftover than anything else I've seen! Happy belated Birthday Sommer and it definitely looks like you had a great one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i want everything you make! seriously something might be wrong with me!

    Happy Birthday girl! I hope it was an amazing one! :)

    p.s. I know you look amazing in jeggings! do NOT deny it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Sommer.... wow... you just rock! Love the photos... and how cool, what a great idea to make pasties... they look so delicious! Happy birthday to you from me! I would bake you a cake if your lived just a bit closer! amazing! - Megan

    ReplyDelete
  23. Recipe is awesome. Looks so delicious.Bookmarking it but anyway I can substitute lard?
    Happy Bday and Ur hubby is back..Enjoy ur holidays,,

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Belated Birthday :) These are are great way to use up the leftovers and they look perfect! And the shot of the cupcakes is not hurting either :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look yummy I can't wait to make another Turkey and stuffing so I can make.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone!!!

    @coolblogger I did use all butter here. The lard in the directions is a typo that I fixed! If you don't see this I'll tell you over at your blog, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy 27th birthday. Welcome to your golden year. That's exciting. I haven't heard of that either but it's fun.
    My oh my these Turkey pasties are perfect. I think you win the award for best left overs. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sommer you wrote on my comment a couple of days ago that you are not crafty, but I have to say that you are vreay creative my friend! Look at all of the beautiful things you cook and how you show everything on your blog! You are very creative! Have a great day!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy birthday, Sommer! I never heard of a "golden birthday" either--mine passed a while ago! These little meat pies look so delicious. I think of Sweeney Todd when I hear meat pies--your filling sounds way better! haha I love the addition of cranberries. Smart way to use up those leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy belated birthday! Golden birthday is new to me. Love those pasties. Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy belated birthday Sommer!
    Your pastries are incredible!! what a wondeful blend of flavors, and I noticed the bacon fat.....and the butter on top....sigh....how could it not be delicious!
    Thank you so much for such a great recipe!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  32. Even on your birthday you were hard at work! Everything looks beautiful as usual! That is a good idea to use the plates as a way to make the pastries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great way to use up leftovers, I love anything in a parcel!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just saw the Pregnancy photos you took of another blogger... absolutely gorgeous! Hope your birthday was a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. me thinks this is great and I miss pasties from downunder!

    ReplyDelete
  36. These snacks are perfect. Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails