Thursday, December 30, 2010

Crispy Pork with Sweet and Spicy Dipping Sauce AND Triple Chocolate Cookies

I had intended on making a blog post on just the Crispy Pork with Dipping Sauce last night, but when I was trying to set up the shot, my daughter knocked over my tripod and broke my new lens! I was gutted, but it was an accident and just material things. I seriously did cry (don't look at me like that) but I did forgive my daughter almost instantly. She was genuinely sorry and very apologetic! My husband was able to fix it, but the auto focus is kaput. Makes it a bit more difficult, but still doable :) Anyway, the photo isn't the best, but this recipe is damn good and easy. 
Crispy Chinese Pork with Sweet and Spicy Dipping Sauce
Crispy Pork with Sweet and Spicy Dipping Sauce
Inspired by BBC Good Food
Can be doubled but I recommend you triple this- it's that darn delicious!!!
Ingredients
1lb pork belly
2t 5 spice powder (I made mine homemade)
Coarse Salt such as Kosher or Sea Salt
For Dipping Sauce
4 tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 teaspoons fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
2 T brown sugar
1 T honey (optional)
1 scallion finely chopped
Directions:
Rub the pork with the five-spice and 2 tsp sea salt then leave, uncovered, in the fridge for at least 2 hrs, but preferably overnight. When ready to cook, heat oven to its maximum setting. Lay the pork on a rack over a roasting tin, making sure the skin is exposed. Roast for 10 mins before turning down the heat to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4, then leave to cook for a further 1½ hrs. Have a look at the pork - if the skin isn't crisp, turn up the heat to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7, then cook for another 30 mins until crisp. Leave to rest on a board for at least 10 mins.
018
To make the dipping sauce, mix all the ingredients together with 2 tbsp water. Cut the pork into small pieces, then serve with the sauce, plus boiled rice and steamed greens, if you like.




Next recipe!
Since we're trying to eat a bit healthier after a smorgasbord of cakes, cookies, cakes, rich meat and cheese, cakes, pies, drinks AND cakes I thought I'd make one of my favorite "healthy" or rather healthier than your normal cookie cookies. This recipe is courtesy of Ellie Krieger. I tried this recipe last summer and the whole family loved it. They couldn't believe it used whole wheat flour and canola oil for butter! Great if you have a sweet tooth you just can't kick if you're trying to eat a bit healthier. The addition of nuts and dried fruit is optional, but it gives the cookies a but body and crunch. I made them without nuts and fruit last year and they were still amazing....tasted like mini brownies actually.


For this recipe I recommend you use valrhona or natural cocoa powder :)
Triple Chocolate Cookies


Triple Chocolate Cookies
Ellie Krieger
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (or regular whole wheat flour, as I did!)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
1/3 cup coarsely chopped dark chocolate (2 ounces)
1/3 cup coarsely chopped milk chocolate (2 ounces)
2/3 cup chopped pecans, optional
1/4 -1/2 cup dried cherries, optional

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, mash together the butter and sugars with a fork until well combined. Add the oil and egg and beat until creamy. Mix in the vanilla.
033
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, cocoa powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well. 
2010-12-29
Stir in the dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and the pecans and mix well. Using a tablespoon, scoop the batter onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
043
 Bake for 12 minutes. Transfer cookies to a rack to cool.

086

24 comments:

  1. Aww! So sorry to hear about your new lens! Andy did the same thing to mine not too long ago! Maybe your warranty is still in effect?? Great dishes, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man I am so sorry about your lense! I would of cried aswell..accidents happen but it still hurts!

    These recipes look amazing. Im going to head over into germany to find pork belly so I can start making things with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am now craving chocolate and chinese food!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh... sorry about the lens :( The pictures are still amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pork belly does sound that darn delicious, the cookies too. Sorry about the lens, that kind of stuff happens here too, so I quit using a tripod, my dogs would run under it and take it down. Poor sweetie, I'm sure she feels just awful too. Maybe it's under warranty?
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooof. Sorry about the lens. That hurts. But I bet the eating some of those YUMM-O cookies make you feel better. Maybe a little bit? And that pork? It's only 9AM here and I'm ready for dinner now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh honey, I don't blame you for a second for crying! I know I would. Even if you aren't upset with your child, you are just upset! The crispy pork looks amazing, with or without the nice lens. I have to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pork looks so good! Don't dispair about your lens; all is not lost! See if you have a little slide button on your lens that has af/mf. Slide it down to mf (manual focus) and simply focus the lens by hand. I promise it's real easy and you can do it! I recently learned to do this myself. Let me know how you do with it. Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your pork looks amazing!! and those cookies....sigh......I don't klnow if I would have had room after devouring that delicious pork, but I would certainly have tried to eat a plateful of cookies too!
    Manual focus is actually better, so don't fret over the autofocus!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  10. My, my, my. I just want to gobble up that whole plate of crispy pork! Sorry about the lens, that is such a bummer. Wonder if a camera shop can do anything about the auto focus?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That pork looks DELISH!!!
    And yes, I would have cried too. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry to hear about the accident. my camera broke down on Christmas day :((
    The cookies sound delicious. recently I discovered the whole wheat cookies and never thought they can be so good.
    thanks for sharing

    I wish You..
    12 Month of Happiness,
    52 Weeks of Fun,
    365 Days Success,
    8760 Hours Good Health,
    52600 Minutes Good Luck,
    3153600 Seconds of Joy

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your lens. I'm sure your sweet girl felt terrible about it...I remember breaking something of my mom's as a little girl. I was mortified! Both of these recipes look and sound AMAZING. I want some of that pork! Thank you so much for sharing with me. I hope you and your family have a happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those cookies look amazing! The more chocolate, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. (ugh) sorry about your lens on the camera. I would have cried too. Your photo still rocks. Your pork dish and those cookies look fabulous.

    I am suffering from a food hangover this season. I am ready to stuff myself with veggies (laugh).

    Happy New Year! I am looking forward to all of your posts in 2011.

    Stay warm.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  16. This whole meal you prepared looks amazing!! Those cookies look like a great treat for the kids lunch boxes. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. do you know that i have a huge goal to go through your blog and find recipes to try that i know the hubby and i will enjoy. i am so excited about it.

    so don't be surprised when you see that i start making things from your blog! hehe.

    Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahhh... I know you love Ellie like I do! I haven't seen these cookies, but I know I would really enjoy them.
    Bummer about the lens... but if you can manual focus, you will actually end up being a better photographer for it! I know many of the books recommend that we all do manual. I'm sure your little one was so upset! My daughter has broken things like that before and just the look on her sad little face made me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do use the camera's manual setting, I just use auto focus as it is more precise for me and faster- especially if I want a nice shot of the kids!!!

    Mamabug- Yeah I used Manual Focus when I first started taking photos and then a friend recommended that I use auto focus and life's been easier ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bummer about the new lens...The five spice pork belly sounds just like something I need to try.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That pork belly looks great! I love a sweet/spicy combo so I really like the sound of your dipping sauce. Sorry to hear about your camera lens--on the bright side, at least your husband was able to pretty much fix it!

    Hope you had a great Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love all of your inspiring posts. I would love to be invited to your house for dinner. Yummy! This recipe looks delicious! Happy New Year my friend! May your year be filled with love, great health and happiness!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh no...sorry to hear about the lens! This crispy pork...the cookies! My head is spinning! Gorgeous. Happy New Year my sweet friend! Looking forward to more of your delicious posts in 2011. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Triple Chocolate Cookies?????? Stop the Madness!!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails