Friday, January 21, 2011

Why I love Twitter, Awards and Pinwheel Cookie Recipe (finally!)

First off, I would like to thank Christina over at Being Mrs. Jones and Visual Luxe for the new design layout. On Twitter, she asked if I would like a knew blog design and I typed (and said as I typed) YES!!! So happy with the new brighter look. Thanks again,  Christina!

On to the awards. Was awarded the Stylish Blogger from Wendy and Faith! Both are two blogs that I thoroughly enjoy reading on a regular basis.
Wendy has delicious recipes from her amazing cookbook finds and her own glorious creations. Her latest post is something I will certainly try! Check it out: Smoky and Spicy Rice Pilaf- NOMNOM!
Faith has everything from marriage, fashion tips, funny to real life stories that I am anxious to read every time I see she has a new post. One of my favorite blogs! Her post on Martin Luther King Day was incredibly touching and definitely something I can relate to and appreciate! Check it out here!

I always giggle when I receive the Stylish blogger award because I am the complete opposite! As you can see here...ahem. Even when I try, I suck!

Also was awarded Versatile Blogger from my real-life friend and blogger buddy Tessie. Her adventures in homemaking, motherhood, being a full-time student are quite a read. I call her Supermom because the lady does it all, but she doesn't sacrifice what she's loved before children and school! Great inspiration!
And last, but certainly not least I received the Lovely Blog Award from fellow European Expats Alisha from Ardent Epicure and Nancy of Spicie Foodie! They have lovely recipes that are so exotic, healthy, and damn amazing!
 Nancy has done what most foodies dream of and has released a cookbook called "An Epiphany of the Senses available on Amazon. If you haven't read her blog, please do. She has certainly inspired me! One of my most popular posts, "Autumn Mac and Cheese: Mommy's Little Secret" was inspired by her. Also, Alisha has the most creative recipe and they're almost always healthy with a great story and description of ingredients used attached!  Her latest post featuring azuki beans had me so intrigued! Hoping to find some soon! Check out her post here!


Now, why I love twitter. Twitter is awesome because it's great for people like me who have random thoughts! Also, great for finding inspiration for recipes. The blog love amongst the bloggers on Twitter is remarkable, from congratulating one another for Top 9 on Foodbuzz, retweeting blog posts it's nice to see such a nice community that I am proud to be apart of!

I also love twitter because Ree Drummond of The Pioneer Woman tweeted the cookies I tweeted about for cookie week back in November. I tweeted a photo of cookies and thought a couple people would see them, but then I saw that SHE retweeted them I was really surprised and excited. I did "The Cabbage Patch" aka my happy dance! The only thing I was sad about was I made the cookies when  my internet was out so I didn't blog about them- dang it! I got a few extra followers on twitter and the blog so I felt bad there was no cookie recipe here for them. Those cookies got over 1000 views from that retweet alone...that lady is the woman! haha.

The other sad part is that I took photos of process and it's all saved on the computer that my ninja baby destroyed. Sigh. But these cookies aren't difficult, give them a shot!
Black and White Swirl Cookies

So here is the recipe finally. It's from "Cooking" by James Patterson. I love this book, it's taught me so much about techniques and cooking. It's one of my cooking bibles.

Black and White Swirl Cookies
Ingredients
For Basic Butter Cookie Dough:
1/2 pound cold butter, sliced
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour or 1 cup all purpose flour and 1 cup cake flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt

For Chocolate Dough:
2 cups flour
2/3 cups confectioner's sugar
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, butter sliced
1 egg
cocoa butter for dusting

Directions
Butter Dough
Make sure butter is as cold as possible. Put flour in bowl and sprinkle butter over the top. Make a well in the center then add egg, sugar and salt.and with the fingertips of one hand, move around the inside of the flour wall, moving around until the flour mixture and egg mixture blends together. Keep mixing until there is no loose flour. Try not to over mix. This can easily be done in a food processor, blending all ingredients until consistency of lumpy mashed potatoes. Or stand mixer, add flour and butter mixture, then pour in eggs, salt, and sugar while mixer is running at medium speed.

Chocolate Dough:
Combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt very well in a large bowl or food processor. Mix in butter well, until you have large crumbs, then add egg to bind.

 Roll out a rectangle of each dough 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick, lay one rectangle on top of the other, roll up tightly, and chill 30 to 45 minutes.

Preheat oven  to 375F.

Once dough are chilled, slice about 1/3 inch thick. Arrange on baking pans, and chill for another 30 minutes.

Once chilled, bake for 12 minutes, or until only the very slightest bit of browning is visible on the edges of the cookies. Let cool until set and then transfer to cooling rack. Once cooled store in tightly sealed container for up to a week. They didn't last 2 days in my house!

Enjoy!!! 

38 comments:

  1. Hey there! Thanks for all the sweet words! I LOVE LOVE the new lay out it totally fits you! and I wanna try those cookies out so bad! I also love twitter mostly cause I gotta move my randomness around and I think twitter is best place for that lmao! Congrats on all your awards you deserve them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely cookies :) I used to buy such cookies, always seemed too difficult to make them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new look! Congrats on all your awards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, beautiful new blog look lady! And yeah, I am enjoying twitter, it can be crazy but a lot of fun. I've been surprised by the connections I've made, even with the top-tier bloggers.
    Yummy cookies, I can see why Pioneer Woman retweeted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post Sommer. And those cookies look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is filled with so much sweetness and love, I love it!

    1. New layout is FAB-ulous! Totally digging it!
    2. Isn't Faith just about the sweetest, funniest, most beautiful gal. I totally heart her.
    4. Congrats on all the awards- they are well deserved.
    3. I now want Black & White swirl cookies for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the love, Sommer...thanks for the shout-out!! And these are very pretty cookies...I love cookies anytime -- day or night!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love and dig the new look. And the recipe, yummy but I have to be careful if not I will be too fat :)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the new design! And congrats are all the views of your cookies, glad to see the recipe here, it looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the new layout, I need to work on mine, one of these days, wish I would keep saying that! Love these cookies too. I think this header fits you much better. Have a great weekend.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the new layout and design of your blog it is simply beautiful! Plus these cookies look so yummy too I will have to try and make. Thanks for sharing!

    Mrs. Mix It.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the well deserved awards, Sommer! And I love the new look of the blog. Nicely done!
    I'm working my way into twitter and everyone has been so nice. The bloglove is just like you said, I had so many FF's today, and I'm still trying to figure out just what that is and how to do it back. Maybe next week! Whatever it is, it sure made me feel good!
    Love these cookies! Liv would really enjoy making them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Cooking" was the first cookbook I ever received! I love it and the detailed photographs of practically every cooking process! Definitely my go-to book when I don't know how to do something! Love these pinwheel cookies girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi Sommer
    I love the new look, and congratulations on all the much deserved awards!!
    Your cookies are just beautiful and I can imagine delicious as well!
    Have a happy weekend
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blog looks beautiful...what a great new layout! And you deserve all the awards and more. I'm so glad that I found your blog. These black and white cookies are so much fun to look at (and I'm sure they're even more fun to eat!) Thank you for sharing with me today. I hope that you have a Saturday full of good memories and relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic layout and congrats on the much deserved awards!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Sommer for all your lovely comments on my blog. It is less than 3 months old, and its only now that I am venturing out to like-minded bloggers. Btw, I found you on "expat bloggers."

    Your blog design is really appealing with its graphics with informative content. The red tells me you are fired-up for more yummy cooking recipes to come!
    Your last post here has kept you quite busy with the links to others, so I'll take a look!

    I like cakes with two flavours like you have here...its like twice the surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your new blog design is fab! Those cookies look amazing. May be a bit too complicated for me haha. Here's the link to making butter...your kids would love this. It's just shaking up some heavy cream until butter forms and the excess fluid is buttermilk.

    http://maizehutton.blogspot.com/2011/01/lets-make-butter-and-spread-love.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. the pinwheels look delicious!
    www.cocoandolive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on all the well-deserved awards!!

    Yummy!! The cookies look really good! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. looks yummy, definately gonna try these, just wondering what made them brown around the outside..?

    ReplyDelete
  22. They look so yummy!!!!! think i so need to make these today.......
    http://zannick.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really love this new design...bright and fresh:)
    Congratulations on all of your awards and the twitter love, always well deserved! And thanks for the sweet words :)
    Plus you through in these cookies, they look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay! Congratulations on your awards and recognition by THE PIONEER WOMAN (yes, I wrote that all in caps, hehehe)! You deserve them all! And, the cookies look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mmmm...cookies. And congratulations on all the awards! Your blog is very very cute!

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is awesome about PW, that woman has some serious clout! Love the cookies, they look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats on all the awards. I must agree that you are brilliant in your cooking and well deserved for all these compliments.

    The cookies are so neatly shaped. Are you still giving your little ninja these cookies after the little missing photos accidents?

    ReplyDelete
  28. I WILL TRY BAKING THIS!!! EVEN THOUGH IM A TERRIBLE COOK!! WISH U WERE MY FRIEND AND WOULD TEACH ME!! HAHA!! AWESOME BLOG BTW

    HTTP://FRANOMAD.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sommer I saw your beautiful cookies on Tastespotting today! Congrats on all the well deserved awards and PW retweet. I like the new look of your blog, really cute. The photos you used for the header banner are perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats on your awards. I tried your Swirl cookies this weekend with the wife and kids. They turned out great and were delicious. Next time, I need to take pics. Thanks for all your recipes and thanks for commenting on my blog.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations on your awards! You deserve them my friend! That pinwheel recipe looks delicious! I hope you are doinh well and keeping warm. Have a great night!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  32. damn ninja baby- we'll never see the photos! sweet pinwheels, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi, Some one from facebook refereed your link i have book marked it nice blogs you write see Free  how to grow twitter followers here

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi, Some one from facebook refereed your link i have book marked it nice blogs you write see Free  how to grow twitter followers here

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a great recipe, a lot simpler than the pinwheel recipe I usually use. Thanks!
    http://www.cookeatdelicious.com/sweets-recipes/chocolate-recipes/pinwheel-cookies-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails