While on Twitter, I tweeted about menu planning for my husband's birthday. As I ramble on about food constantly, which I expect may bore many I didn't expect much feedback. But my friend, who is a great cook suggested I make Coriander and Cumin Crusted Salmon and Roasted Pineapples served with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.
As I already had a main dish in mind for the husband's day, I decided this light meal will be perfect for the day prior. Even better it's quick and easy and we family cooks favorite phrase when it comes to weekday meals or hot summer days!
Coriander and Cumin Crusted Salmon
Adapted from Allrecipes.
Ingredients
1 1/2 tablespoons Coriander Seed, coarsely crushed
1 tablespoon Cumin Seed, coarsely crushed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
4 (4 ounce) salmon steaks, about 1-inch thick
Relish:
1 small avocado, finely chopped
1/2 tomato, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions:
In a small bowl, combine seasonings. Rub over salmon. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium. Cook swordfish 5-7 minutes per side, until fish is opaque in center and flakes easily with a fork.
Rum Roasted Pineapples with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Ingredients:
1 fresh pineapple
1/4 cup rum
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions
Peel the pineapple and, leaving it whole, cut out the center core. Slice into 8 rings, and place them in a shallow glass dish or resealable plastic bag. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Pour over the pineapple, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour, or overnight. Preheat oven on 450F/220C.
In a roasting pan with shallow sides, add parchment paper so pineapples will not stick to pan! Roast pineapple rings 15 minutes, turning once, or until outside is dry and char marked. Serve with remaining marinade.
I served with store bought ice cream, but you can easily make your own! I have a recipe for the best Vanilla Ice Cream here.
1/4 cup rum
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions
Peel the pineapple and, leaving it whole, cut out the center core. Slice into 8 rings, and place them in a shallow glass dish or resealable plastic bag. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Pour over the pineapple, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour, or overnight. Preheat oven on 450F/220C.
In a roasting pan with shallow sides, add parchment paper so pineapples will not stick to pan! Roast pineapple rings 15 minutes, turning once, or until outside is dry and char marked. Serve with remaining marinade.
I served with store bought ice cream, but you can easily make your own! I have a recipe for the best Vanilla Ice Cream here.
Wow fantastic job..this meal looks so delicious!
ReplyDeleteThanks! My children (husband included) really enjoyed it, too.
ReplyDeleteI'm bookmarking it! <3
ReplyDelete