Friday, October 8, 2010

Autumn Macaroni and Cheese: Mommy's Little Secret

Red Kuri Squash


Red Kuri Squash. Ever heard of it? Hey you super foodie in the back, calm your nerves, we know you know! I've heard of it, but honestly never even crossed my mind to cook with it. When I see these lil pumpkin look-a-likes, I thought of them as just that- baby pumpkins. Some places even paint faces on them and I always thought of them as decoration. Red Kuri Squash or Rote Hokkaido as it's called here in Germany is a winter squash that's available year-around. The outside should be slightly rough not shiny to indicate its ripeness. 

I visited fellow expatriate in Europe, Spicie Foodie and she inspired me to find great potential for this squash. Her  addiction...erm..love for this lovely winter squash literally made my mouth water. Then the recipe she produced made me want to try this even more! Suddenly I had an awesome idea looking at how the pasta sauce cling beautifully to the spiral pasta.....MAC N CHEESE! My 4 year-old LOVES mac n cheese. He'll eat mac n cheese over a candy bar.  He'll eat mac n cheese over meeting his fave superhero Ben 10, he'll choose mac n cheese over hanging out with ME. Haha. So after reading about the delicate flavor and slight nuttiness of this squash, I thought of a mac n cheese recipe Ellie Krieger did with frozen butternut squash puree as the base. So with that in mind, I had the perfect recipe in mind.

Then Wednesday morning, my 4 year-old woke up with a very swollen face. I screamed! I was in such shock. The day before some kid at his kindergarten pushed him and his face had a rash and his mouth was cut. So I wasn't sure if this child pushed him into something that he is potentially allergic to, but I for sure freaked out! After rushing him to the doctor and the doctor performing a bunch of tests, we were told he was OK. Just to keep an eye on him and he'll call back with the lab results. He was OK and his urine samples came back negative for potential kidney issues, so to celebrate and comfort my lil man, I decided to make the mac n cheese for him that day instead during the weekend. 

While researching this squash, I did not find much about how to prep it. I read that you can just roast it for 45 minutes then remove the seeds. I, of course did it the hard way. But, I am still learning about food, and I tend to like to do things the slow way especially for others who are interested!

Autumn Mac n Cheese



Autumn 3 Cheese Macaroni
Ingredients
For Squash Puree:
1 medium red Kuri squash
3 T olive oil
Coarse Salt and Pepper
1 T Heavy Cream

For Macaroni and Cheese
3/4 pound of cavatappi noodles or any noodles of you choice. In Germany they're called Cellatani
1 1/4 cups of heavy cream 
Squash Puree (recipe above) or 1 pack of frozen butternut squash (or any winter squash)
3/4 cup grated smoked Gouda cheese, packed lightly
1/2 cup grated Monterrey jack cheese, packed lightly
1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese
1 or 1 1/2 t kosher salt
Pepper
1/4 - 1/2 t hot sauce
1 t ground mustard

For topping
1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1/2 cup Japanese Panko bread crumbs

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F. Wash the squash well, then remove stem. Cut in half carefully using a bread knife or knife with ridges. I always find those the easiest when dealing with squash. Again, you can buy any pre-cut winter squash or frozen purees!

Remove seeds with a spoon.

Cut squash into 4 pieces for easy peeling. Peel the skin using a potato peeler or paring knife for this. 

Using a all-purpose of chef's knife, chop squash into 1 inch pieces. Add to a baking sheet then add olive oil, salt and pepper. Add squash to preheated oven. 


Roast for about 40 minutes stirring halfway through.


Put roasted squash into a bowl. Refrain from munching on them. With a potato masher, smush these babies like crazy until there's no chunks left. 


Add 1 tablespoon of heavy cream for a touch of creaminess. Again, refrain from munching!  Set aside. 

Increase oven temperature to 375F
Spray a 10 by 15 baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.

In a large pot, bring water to boil. Add noodles and cook until just al dente, about 9 to 10 minutes. Drain, then set aside.
In another pan, add heavy cream, squash puree. Turn heat on medium. Stir together until well mixed.

Heat until the mixture is about to boil. A nice simmer is what you're looking for.

Remove pot from heat, then add cheeses, ground mustard, salt and pepper, and hot sauce, and stir well until combined.

Add noodles and toss until combined.

Add to prepared baking dish. 
Combine Pecorino Romano and Japanese bread crumbs in a small bowl. 

Sprinkle evenly on top of the noodles.

Put into oven and bake for 20 minutes.
Allow to rest 5 minutes after removing from oven and voila! 

My son LOVED this. My macaroni and cheese snob of a husband? LOVED this! My picky Ninja Baby? Ate all of mine! So yeah, my son couldn't tell there was anything squash in this and I am not telling him until he's 18 years old! The slightly salty crunchiness of the cheese and bread crumb topping made this shine. This is most certainly a must try. 


Autumn Mac n Cheese, Broccoli, and Roasted Chicken





37 comments:

  1. What a smart idea! Love the idea of using squash, which is readily available this time of year. It looks so yummy..a perfect meal for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sommer,

    Thanks for checking out my guest post on Lazaro Cooks, for participating in my onions poll, and for following me! I'm glad that it has all led me to your blog, which I look forward to checking out frequently now. This mac and cheese is fabulous. Sitting down to a really good mac and cheese is the best--love the addition of the red squash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sneaky Mama! Looks delicious, but I don't know I've ever come across on of those squashes! I'm not that super foodie you were shushing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where do you find that japanese breading?

    It looks good. I have to see if I can get all the ingrideints on the German market.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check your local asian markets for some panko crumbs. if not just use some regular bread crumbs. or make your own by smashing the heck out of some stale bread. That kuri squash is EVERYWHERE and all the other ingredients are pretty common, I bought the cheese on the german markets. and if you don't want to use Pecorino Romano cheese, you can just use parmasean cheese :)

    And thanks Marisa! Love your blog and looking forward to reading more from you, too.

    Oh and Joey, I thought they were baby pumpkins for the longest haha. You can use butternut squash, fresh or frozen here, too!

    Thanks deb, Jalen couldn't tell and I ain't telling him! He ate two helpings for lunch today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds and look yummy!

    http://youcanfacetodaybecausehelives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a fab recipe, the sneakier for the kiddos, the better for us. =)

    I will have to try it!

    I'm glad he's ok. I can't believe there's little kids that are bullies. =(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Toyin- it was very yummy.

    Thanks Chic Mama! I try to be sneaky often, but my kids know every ingredient haha. So I have to puree their most hated veggies! And bullies suck even more since there is a language barrier. It's so hard not to turn all mama bird. but he's ok, thanks for your kind concern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sommer this recipe looks divine! I love all kinds of winter squash. I would never have thought about adding it to mac and cheese. Definitely trying this real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First and foremost, I am so glad your little man is okay. How scary that must have been! Kids can be so mean sometimes. :(

    You taught me something new with this squash and your mac n cheese looks great! :) You have me wishing I wasn't roasing a chicken right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's an amazing and clever recipe; hope your little boy is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. how scary that must have been to see your son swollen and not know what was wrong. how can 4 year old children be mean? i thought that only happened when your turned into a teenager.

    but this recipe looks so good. i told my hubby that you are brilliant & that i am going to start making new meals at home from your blog! hahaha. he said he'll believe it when i make it! i will be sure that when i do, i make a post about it! :) hopefully it will taste as good as your meals look!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your son seems like he was enjoying it. I hope he is doing ok now.
    That meal looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! That sounds and looks fab!!!

    Thanks for sharing! Great blog :)

    Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everyone for the concern over my lil man! It was scary, but he's getting better. Even spent the day with his Oma and Opa yesterday. His Oma, who is German, spoke to the teachers as there is a huge language barrier between the teachers and I, and told they didn't know anything. Really teed me off. So reluctant to show up there Monday. My son still loves school, though. sigh..

    And my boys including the husband, really enjoyed it! Makes me happy when experiments work. Oh, and I really loved it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I seriously love the food that you cook. My fiance does all the cooking but he really wants me to cook at least once a week. I will certainly use your blog as a resource. Glad the whole family enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Monique!!

    You and your husband should cook together Faith! Beware, working in the kitchen with your mate can get hot in more ways than one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sommer, what a great recipe! I also really like the idea of mixing the panko with romano as a topping. Great idea. thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yumm, looks very similar to what I give my son. I make a butternut squash soup with 5 veggies and use that as a base for his mac and cheese. very nutritious. Nice work mama (= And your kids loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds great I love the squash added in and the gouda too! Glad your baby is okay! I like the topping too, I'm craving some mac and cheese now!
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great idea to put it in the Mac n cheese! Looks like he loved it. Funny, my son's favourite superhero is Ben 10 too. Hope his rash is gone and he's feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had trouble posting this so if it's a duplicate please discard.

    Love the mac & cheese dish. Great idea to include the squash. That cheese looks cooked to perfection. Golden brown bubbly goodness.

    My best to your little boy, hope he feels better.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That looks very interesting!! and sound delicious. Very creative dish!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks yummy! I haven't heard of that kind of squash, but I will be sure to look for it the next time I am in the grocery store. Poor guy! I hope he feels better! :(

    Oh, and I just, after many visits to your blog, read your about page. You're from Maryland?? Do share!!

    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lisa I am not surprised you would make something similar! You're very creative with veggies!

    Jessica this will be great for when Nya gets older. Just use butternut squash- the flavors are similar! And yes, I'm from the Baltimore area!

    My son is looking 100% better everyone, thanks for the well wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Strange rashes and swollen faces can be quite scary (I've had a few of those moments over the years) and I'm glad to hear your little guy is feeling better and it appears it wasn't anything serious!

    I've never heard or seen this squash before but your recipe looks AMAZING!!! I'm now on a mission to find it and added this recipe to my "must-make" list! Thanks for sharing Sommer :o)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This dish looks delicious - I must try my hand at it before autumn ends. Your son looks like he had a grant time with that dish;-)
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I know I have said this before, but I LOVE PUMPKIN :-D This sounds so so yummy!!!!

    I have made GF mac & cheese before, but when I was still eating dairy - as for great mac/cheese, you need more than 1 type of cheese usually. So not sure how it would work with using pecornio. (am not a big fan of goat cheese or softer sheep's cheeses).

    Definitely looks so yummy and what a great idea to combine the pumpkin with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey Mama! I was laughing as I scrolled down and saw that squash on your blog. I just made a soup with it tonight. I didn't even know what it was called. I just randomly bought it on friday and stared at it most of the weekend. The kids thought it was a baby pumpkin too, and that came in handy when coaxing them to eat the soup. "it's baby pumpkin soup, guys!" they liked it.

    So thanks for clearing that up for me! The next dish is that mac n cheese. I want it for ME! My kids are really strange...they don't like mac n cheese! They pretty much don't eat any pasta and I can't figure it out! I could eat the whole crock of that. I'm going to make it regardless and maybe it will be the key to getting them to like mac n cheese! (did I mention the "mac n cheese")

    thanks for stopping by Sommer J! I love that you get my weirdo kid stories. hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  30. My children are super weird, too. My daughter doesn't like mac n cheese, the only meat my 18 month old will eat is bacon and occasionally chicken, my eldest son will not eat most things that are red; red sauces and red fruit. So I totally know. And none of them like hamburgers haha!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your little boy is lucky to have a mom like you! How sweet of you to make his favourite dish! It looks and sounds delish! Glad to hear things worked out with your little guy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Glad your son is okay and I bet he loved his macaroni pick-me-up! I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for those squashes so I can try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sommer, if you'll go to my profile page you can get my email address. Send me an email and I'll help you with your photos! I can't download google talk on my laptop, it's too old. I'll be waiting to hear from you.
    mamabug

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sommer, I'm so glad your son is OK. Thanks for the mention :) Your M&C is making my crave more squash. I think I need to go get another one. Looks so so mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Okay. This looks too good. I am a macaroni freak! This looks beyond delicious...

    Kids can be pretty harsh (at any age) A 2 year old in my daughters class used to say "Go Away Kaia" every time she'd walk into class. WTF?

    PS: I have 2 very large high school stepsons who are always on loan to stop bullying. (in any country) Especially to help out their fellow mixed little bros & sisters! Ha-Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hello, I stopped by from Nancy's to check out this mac and cheese...Fantastic, with such wonderful combination of flavors. I am glad your little one did not have anything to serious, hope he is feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I bought a Kuri squash because of Nancy at Spice Foodie's recent recipe. Mac & cheese is the ultimate comfort food and its great that you found a way to make it healthier w/o sacrificing taste! Hope your little guy is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails