Friday, January 14, 2011

Blueberry-Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

104
Spring is certainly on my mind. After 4 consecutive days of rain and gloom in my town in Deutschland, I want something sunny, bright and of course delicious. Spring seems to have had a tag team match with winter recently. We've had some warm temps here, even reaching in the 60s. However, we have a common feature of spring that I am not so tickled happy about.....rain. Lots of it. So what's the best thing to do after a long puddle jumping marathon with the little ones? Bake some CAKE. A cake featuring a not so winter time fruit- blueberries. I used organic frozen blueberries, which are typically frozen at their peak of freshness, and some very seasonal lemons so I didn't feel so guilty. Besides, from the crumbly lemon scented cake base, the full sweet, bursting flavor of the blueberries, to the light cream cheese filling and the crunchy almond topping, you may end up running to your closet and put some shorts on. My daughter the "bewwy lovah" nearly ate all of the berries while I preparing the cake!


108



Blueberry-Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

Ingredients

  • 1  cup  fresh blueberries, rinsed, or frozen blueberries
  • 1/4  cup  apple juice
  • 1  teaspoon  cornstarch
  • 2  cups  all-purpose flour
  • 1  cup  sugar
  • 1/2  cup  (1/4 lb.) cold butter, cut into chunks
  • 1/2  teaspoon  baking powder
  • 1/2  teaspoon  baking soda
  • 1/4  teaspoon  salt
  • 1  teaspoon  grated lemon peel
  • 3/4  cup  plain low-fat yogurt
  • 1  teaspoon  vanilla
  • 2  large eggs
  • 6  ounces  cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1  teaspoon  lemon juice
  • 1/2  cup  sliced almonds

Preparation

In a 1- to 2-quart pan over medium heat, bring blueberries and apple juice to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until blueberries have released their juices, about 3 minutes. In a small bowl, blend cornstarch and 2 teaspoons water. Add to blueberry mixture; stir until it simmers and thickens, about 1 minute. Let cool to room temperature.
Recently Updated9
In a bowl or food processor, mix or whirl flour and 3/4 cup sugar. Add butter to flour mixture. Cut in with a pastry blender or pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. 
Recently Updated6
Reserve 1/2 cup; pour remaining into a large bowl. Stir in baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon peel.
027
In a bowl, mix yogurt, vanilla, and 1 egg until blended; stir into flour-baking powder mixture until incorporated.
031
Spread batter in a buttered 9-inch round cake pan with a removable rim.
Recently Updated10
In a bowl or food processor, beat with an electric mixer on high speed or whirl cream cheese, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, remaining egg, and lemon juice until smooth.Recently Updated8 

Spread over batter in pan, leaving a 1/2-inch border bare. Gently spread blueberry mixture over cream cheese mixture, leaving some visible. Stir almonds into reserved flour mixture and sprinkle over cake, concentrating most around edge of batter.
Recently Updated7
5. Bake in a 350° oven until center of cake barely jiggles when pan is gently shaken and top of cake is golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool on a rack for 15 minutes, then remove pan rim. Serve warm or at room temperature.
062
Hope you all enjoy and are staying nice and warm....preferably by an oven ;-)


Cream Cheese on FoodistaCream Cheese

30 comments:

  1. It was delicious. I say was, cause I ate like 3 pieces yesterday and I doubt there's much left. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to see if I can snag some frozen blueberries at the store this weekend! this loks amazing. I too am sick of this horrible grey weather we've been having!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love blueberries! And I think there is a coffee Cale theme going around. Yours looks delish Sommer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have this same recipe, and yes it is delicious. Thanks for posting this, now I don't have to look through my piles (I mean neatly organized recipes) and see if I can find it! The frozen blueberries worked great in it. I'm thinking it would make a great breakfast, try and stay warm over there! -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so yummy! Love seeing the progression from start to finish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could your photos be any more enticing?! (as if I needed any more reason to make this scrumptious sounding cake)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks A-MA-ZING. It's been raining here too but then it always rains in London. But that cake would be PERFECT right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks very nice and sweets with blueberries always taste great :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be right over... I hope you saved some leftovers for me! Beautiful pictures once again -- what kind of camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmm, just beautiful. Sunny and summery and delicious. Just what you need to overcome the winter-rain blues. I used to live in Vancouver, 6 months of rain in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent! A perfect use for blueberries that I must try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really want a piece of this for breakfast right now! Fedex please? Hehe. Have a great weekend Sommer and I hope it's not too rainy and drab!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sommer, you photos are simply stunning!! Like you I am ready for spring and we are in the middle of a Southern CA Santa Ana condition, where the winds shift and blow towards the ocean bring with them warm air from the desert. Today is supposed to be 80 and I'm ecstatic! Your cake would be perfect for our day.
    I can't tell you how many days we've spent puddle jumping! One of my daughter's favorite sports when she was little. Hang in there, the sun will shine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks fabulous darling! WOW, I love the contrast in colors, just super, really. It is snowing now... burr... hope you are keeping warm.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think its delicious! I love the step-by-step photos.I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this cream cheese widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about cream cheese,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks everyone!!!

    Done, Alisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for visiting my blog and leading me here! This cake is one of my favorites! I love it but your pictures are calling me to make it soon! Spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spring is definitely in the air. Yesterday I made some blueberry muffins too.
    Your cake looks so good, would love a slice right now.
    Thanks for sharing Sommer

    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Roxana

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sommer your cake is a ray of sunshine! Blueberries desserts are one of my favorites and your cake would brighten any day. This crazy weather is also getting to me, can't wait for sunny Spring weather. I'll be over for Tee und Kuchen soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the way the blueberries bleed into the cake ..... delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The apple juice and yogurt are two great 'secret' ingredients. It feels like spring is on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have to say, I'll take the rain over the snow. Here in Seattle it rains all the time, so we're used to it, but the snow makes us crazy!

    This is an absolutely lovely dessert. The color is amazing!

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm going to make this for breakfast on Sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is definitely brightening my day...gorgeous coffee cake :) The last photo just pops from the screen!

    ReplyDelete
  25. omg! this looks incredible and tastey!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That looks so good. Something else that I must try.

    ReplyDelete
  27. thanks for the comment on my blog (& the luck, i'll need it)! this looks amazing, i think i'm going to have to try it myself. blueberries are my fave!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice recipe, this is really yummy. There is nothing to argue about. Keep posting stuff like this i really like it. thank you for sharing this recipe..

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails