Monday, January 17, 2011

Parsnip Fritters with Blue Cheese-Walnut Whip

stray

The Baltimore Ravens, my hometown team, are out of the playoffs. Oh, well. There's still snacking to be done and I have the perfect recipe- Parsnip Fritters! 
dip
Parsnips are one of my favorite root vegetables. They're slightly sweet, pleasantly aromatic, and full of flavor with a hint of anise! My husband, again, picked out this recipe and I was more than happy to get my fry on. These fritters are so light that your will be absentmindedly popping one in your mouth after the other. Pair it with the Blue-Cheese Walnut Whip and you've definitely gotta party. Blue-Cheese and walnuts is an incredible pairing that I shall try again soon. The family adored these and they were gone very quickly.
baby Sneaky baby!
Try a new appetizer at your Super Bowl Party, shoot any occasion! Warning: They're highly addictive!

Parsnip Fritters with blue cheese walnut whip
Note: I halved the recipe. Below is full recipe makes 32!
Ingredients
2 1/4 lb parsnips, peeled and cored
salt and pepper
1/2 onion
2 eggs
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons flour

For Blue Cheese
3 oz blue cheese, room temperature
2/3 cups mayonnaise (homemade or purchased)
juice of 1 lime
8-10 walnut halves
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/3 cup cream
oil for frying

Directions
Rinse the chopped onion in a sieve, dry very well, then set aside.
2011-01-162

Quarter the parsnips lengthwise and remove the central woody core, then discard.
2011-01-163
Cook parsnips in boiling salted water until completely tender then drain. Place the parsnips back in th pot over low heat, allowing them to dry. Then puree with a potato masher for a coarse finish or blitz until smooth in a processor. Add to parsnips along with onions, eggs and butter. Add flour, beating it in well. Season with salt and pepper.
2011-01-165
While the parsnips are boiling, make the whip. Whisk th cheese into the mayonnaise, breaking it down until reasonable smooth. Add the lime juice, walnuts, and season with with a pinch of cayenne pepper.
2011-01-164

Lightly whip cream until soft peaks form.
2011-01-16

Then gently fold into cheese-cream mixture until it's a whipped consistency.Can be served chilled or at room temperature.
cream and cheese
Preheat the oil for deep frying between 160C/325F to 180C/350F in a deep fryer or in a large skillet with using a thermometer to read the temperature. The parsnip mix can be spooned with spoon ( I used a tablespoon) into the hot oil. Oil the spoon first to make it non-stick!
2011-01-161

Turn the fritters from time to time until deep golden brown. Once they are cooked, remove them from hot oil, drain on paper towels and lightly salt, if desired.

fritters-1

33 comments:

  1. OMG, everything about these sounds amazing. I want them NOW! Sorry your Ravens are done for the count this playoff season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tasted a parsnip, but these look so yummy that you're making me want to pick up some to try this recipe! Do you get to see many US football games in Germany?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! And Wendy you must try parsnips they're so delicious. Everything about them! Wendy we have SKY it's a satellite service out of the UK and the sports channel airs certain NFL games livw which means extremely during playoff season! One of the reasons I am preferring football/soccer these days! I can't take the stress late at night (this coming from a mother of three young ones! rather the added stress from my football team winning then giving the win away! hehe.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazingly delicious! They do look a little time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm... bet these were good! I don't think I've ever actually tasted a parsnip before. It's so cute that your husband picks out recipes for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ ann It's actually pretty quick! You don't have to remove the root from the parsnips as you will boil it until it's tender anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These fritter and dip looks sensational!! Bookmarked and will try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is such a great recipe. I will be out of town for the Super Bowl this year and won't be hosting our annual Super Bowl-fried chicken party. This would have been a great appetizer. I may just make this for my in laws since we will be watching the game in Colorado. I love all the food you make. Again, I have to reiterate how lucky your husband and children are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look delicious! I wish I had some now! I hope you get your heat back soon my friend! I know it is pretty cold there. How are you staying warm? That night without heat was realy cold! Make sure to visit the featured blogger in the Nestwork. You will love her brownie recipe. They look yummy and I know you will love her blog! Have a great night!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not enough dip in the bowl I think? Lol looks lush though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! I have way too much dip as I halved the fritter recipe and left the dip recipe whole! The kids and I snacked on raw veggies which the dip was perfect for as well, after we devoured the fritters!

    ReplyDelete
  12. more delishousness Sommer!

    love the photo of the little hand reaching for a fritter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A more exciting version of the humble chip - I like!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great way to use parsnips - love this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look great! I love the picture with the hand reaching in. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting recipe Sommer, those fritters look so good. Your photos are looking great too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mama-mia!! I'm trying to take some of this post-wedding weight off and you are making if AWFULLY hard. These look to-die for!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow! These are delightful and probably dangerous near me :) Love everything about these!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh my.... oh my... oh my...Sommer these look amazing! I love the food you make because it all tastes good (never tried your food) but I like your style and I KNOW without a doubt it would taste awesome. These are a total knockout! - megs

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow those look awesome! And very creative and different. mmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow I can imagine how delicious these would be. I rarely buy parsnip but now I feel inspired to cook with them more often!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Sommer, these look delicious! Anything with blue cheese is a winner in my book :-) And the interesting thing with parnips is that apparently they are very much en vogue here in France now, an old-school vegetable that is making a comeback!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, a very creative use of parsnips, the little fritters sound just scrumptious and absolutely perfect paired with this amazing blue cheese walnut whip! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look yummy! I was just at my farmer's market and purchased some parsnips without a plan for a recipe. I have all the other ingredients so I will plan to make some by the weekend. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those look yummy! Maybe I'll make some for Sunday's game when my Steelers take on the Jets. (Don't hate me, I'm just teasing!)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love these fritters Sommer. These wouldn't last long in our house either

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hahah @ Joey! I am over it now...sigh

    Thanks for all the nice comments all. I hope you try these or something similar! Parsnips are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  28. First of all, I love your use of parsnips in these fritters, such a unique preparation! Second of all, I heart all things deep fried (though I don't indulge often), and these definitely look mouthwatering :) Finally, add to that my love of blue cheese and all things dipped into sauces made with blue cheese, and I am drooling all over my keyboard. Thanks for sharing this fun and unique recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have never heard of parsnip fritter and the sauce looks incredible! I must try these sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey ... wow, these look so delectable... incredible, really. I love fritters, hush puppies, but never had parsnip before... think you just might be setting a new trend.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, Sommer, what have you done to me. These sound so good and I'm so scared of deep frying :((
    Oh, i want these so bad right now.
    and the blue cheese sauce, oh my, I'm drooling

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sommer this is such a fantastic recipe! I'm normally not so into eating parsnip but this fritters would change that very quickly. Thank you for participating in this months YBR! (oops, the banner isn't linking correctly:) )

    ReplyDelete
  33. I can see how these would be super addictive! I'll have to get out the deep fryer - looks too yummy to pass up! Like the added crunch of walnuts to the blue cheese dip, too :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails