Friday, June 25, 2010

Chicken-Broccoli Penne Alfredo


alfredo


While annoyed with my USA soccer team my impatient ass decided to make dinner during the game rather than after. An angry Sommer in the kitchen will not produce yummy food. So instead of waiting I cooked after halftime because couldn't take it anymore.

I planned this meal while out with my kids, with of course, my lil ones in mind.  My son doesn't like red sauces and a friend out of the blue recently asked me if I was any good at making fettuccine alfredo. So I just had to make this- again! This is my very own recipe so I didn't measure anything- just winged it. You can use beef or shrimp instead of chicken and any veggie instead of broccoli.

Note: They won!!!!
Chicken-Broccoli Penne Alfredo

Serves 4

Ingredients
2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
5 tablespoons of unsalted butter
2 medium shallots- minced
3 cloves of garlic - minced
1/3 cup of dry white wine
1-1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
4 cups of dry penne pasta
1-1/2 cups of frozen or fresh broccoli florets
Course salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions
1) Season Chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet to medium-high then add olive oil. Once oil is hot, add chicken. Cook 12-15 minutes turning once. Once cooked, leave to rest for 5 minutes, then slice.

2) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add penne stirring occasionally. Cook to box directions. During the last 5 minutes, add broccoli. Now drain through a colander.

3) Meanwhile, heat another large skillet to medium heat; add butter. Once butter is melted, add shallots. Cook about 4 minutes then add garlic. Cook another minute then add wine. Cook until wine reduces by half, about 4 or 5 minutes- eye it. Now lower burner to low heat. Add cream stirring occasionally until thickened about 3 to 4 minutes. Take skillet of the hob, then add cheese.  Stir until melted.   Add chicken, broccoli and pasta to skillet. Stir until combined then season with salt and LOTS of pepper! Be prepared for some yumminess!!

Note: If you don't have a bunch of large skillets, just roast the some chicken breasts for about 30 minutes on 350 degrees. Allow to rest and follow recipe. I prefer bone-in skin-on breast for ultimate juiciness and flavor after roasting. Just de-skin and de-bone chicken. Put the bones and skin in a ziplock bag and save for stock. Or just eat the yummy crispy chicken skin (that's just me). But if you're after quick, stick with skinless-boneless.

10 comments:

  1. Hello, dropping by from Nya's mom. That looks yummy! :) Thanks for sharing!

    Your project 365 looks great too! Btw, me and the hubby may be moving to Germany in a few years time, so perhaps I might pester you for some tips on the country, if you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I can't wait to give it a try! Oh, yeah, and I tried the waffles recipe that you posted on, and my husband (and I) loved it!

    -Jessica a.k.a Nya's mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies!!

    MamaJ, feel free to pester away! I've been here for almost 6 years so I know a lot; or I can at least direct you to someone who does haha.

    I'm happy you liked the waffles, Nya!!! My kids love them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! This sounds so good! I still haven't made a pasta dish with broccoli in it, so I will have to make your version!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I've never tried making fresh alfredo pasta. I can't believe how simple this recipe is!

    I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, RoseBelle! Thank you for following me!

    I hope you guys like this recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. definitely making this. looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful picture! I have never added white wine to my alfredo sauce and I'm looking forward to trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't tried broc with penne before. A nice blend though! Congrats about the win...you do have a great US team they did well in the FIFA. Have a nice sunny day!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails