
Kind of looks like my chicken is doing a Martial Arts stance- its flavor is kicking!!! (I'll get me coat)
It's flipping cold, so warm comforting dishes are staple around these parts. Recently I bought Cook's Illustrated's Holiday recipe special. How could I not with the AMAZING Stuffed Beef Tenderloin on the cover calling my name whenever I glance at the magazine section at the shoppette?
While relaxing in the tub, where I do my best thinking, I read through this issue and decided to use most of the recipes in my Christmas Day meal and some for baking. There was also this amazing French Chicken in a Pot recipe that I had to try. What I love about Cook's Illustrated is that they test everything and write all about it. Not only do I love reading about the history of a dish, I also love to read about different techniques that makes recipes work; one of the many reasons why I love this magazine.
When I saw the French Chicken in the pot recipe I was intrigued by the subtitle: Taking cues from a French technique for cooking chicken in a covered pot we forgo crisp skin for succulent meat and unforgettable flavor.
I must say my favorite thing about Roast Chicken is the crispy skin. My 5 year-old's too. He always ask for plenty of skin whenever I roast chicken. With this chicken, what you get is a wonderfully aromatic dish full of bold flavor. Nothing bland, but the lack of of tan *zig zag snap*! The amazing flavor of this chicken will make you forget all about crispy golden skin. Heck, I lost my summer glow (all of my base make up is a shade darker! Don't buy foundation in the summer) my chicken did, too!
French Chicken in a Pot
Adapted from: Holiday Entertaining From Cook's Illustrated, pg 12-13
1 (4 1/2 to 5 pound) whole chicken (mine was about 3 pounds) giblets remived and discarded, wings tucked under the back
2 t of kosher salt or 1 t of table salt
1/4 t black pepper
1 T olive oil
1 small onion, chopped medium (about 1/2 cup)
1 small celery rib, chopped medium (about 1/4 cup)
6 medium garlic cloves, peeled and trimmed
1 bay leaf
1 sprig fresh rosemary- optional (i used thyme!)
Directions
Adjust the oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Pat Chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.

(dont forget to tuck those wings!)
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat until just smoking.

Add chicken breast side down; scatter onion, celery, bay leaf, and thyme (if using) around chicken. and vegetables are well browned, about 5 minutes.

Using a wooden spoon inserted into cavity of the bird, flip chicken breast side up and cook until chicken and vegetables are well browned, 6 to 8 minutes.


Remove Dutch oven from heat; place large sheet of foil over pot and cover tightly with lid. Transfer pot to oven and cook until instant read thermometer registers 160 degrees Fahrenheit when inserted into thickest part of the breast and 175 degrees in the thickest part of thigh. It took my chicken about 50 minutes as it it was smaller!

Transfer to a carving board, tent with foil, then allow to rest for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, strain juices from pot. Allow to stand then skim fat from top of sauce with a spoon.


Allow liquid to settle, then simmer over low heat. Add any accumulated juices from rested chicken and lemon juice. Douse chicken in delicious sauce!

I hope you try this delicious dinner. It's so fragrant full of flavor. Not your typical roast chicken with crispy skin, but the taste is just as amazing, if not more!! This was loved by everyone in my family! Serve it with a veg and my Skillet Potatoes and you're golden! Bon Appetit!
We're so programmed to want crispy, brown skin, but I have to say that this looks divine! Thanks for sharing. I think our Cook's subscription just ran out, so I feel like I am getting the benefit here of you trying this out!
ReplyDeleteI am gonna try it :) that looks awesome and now I have a new magazine to try and cut out recipes from :) Yay!!
ReplyDeleteThat looks so good! And your pictures look great!
ReplyDeleteI must say that the crispy skin is definitely my favorite part of a roasted bird as well! But hey, if the chicken itself tastes as fantastic as your obviously looks, I can overlook the crispy skin and enjoy the succulent bird! Awesome job Sommer!
ReplyDeletePerfect meal for this weather - my mouth is watering as I type!!
ReplyDeleteI really love a crisp chicken, but I am willing to try for a flavorful one!!!
ReplyDeleteOMGoodness this look so good! I must try. SImple, savory, hearty and delicious!
ReplyDeleteThree cheers for Sommer and your delicious home cooked food!
ReplyDeleteLove your step by step instructions and photos...the chicken looks so healthy and yummy.
haha you were right about the french thing!!! this looks really delicious and the chicken looks sooo tender, yum!
ReplyDeleteHow funny, I was just thinking about how darn pale I'm starting to look. I miss the sun already! I love whole roasted chickens, must try this. Glad you were able to pull yourself away from the bath long enough to make this for us! He He
ReplyDelete-Gina-
that chicken looks unbelievable. i can't get over how moist it looks! and tender! wow, wow, wow! i wish i could do that ... in my dreams :(
ReplyDeleteThat looks finger licking good. MMMM!
ReplyDeleteHi Im a new visitor and follower. I dont like to cook whole chickens, but this looks amazing! I will def try it out!!
ReplyDeletefor the longest time I stuck to plain boneless skinnless chicken breasts and never actually made a whole chicken. But a few years back I got a good deal on one and gave it a shot. Wow! What an easy meal! Yours looks just beautiful.
ReplyDeletePS... how's that new computer???!! Isn't always so fun!
This chicken looks so very moist and flavorful! I want to make this right now. I also adore Cooks Illustrated. Such a great resource! Thank you so much for sharing with me, my sweet friend! I hope you have a wonderful Saturday.
ReplyDeleteWe have the same le creuset pot- how fantastico! found you today- what a happy discovery. girl, you got some serious sass. xo, salty
ReplyDeleteThat's one sexy chicken! I'm SO jealous of your pot. I want one!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a delicious looking chicken you have there! It looks incredibly moist and tender.
ReplyDeleteI see you live in Germany too! I live just outside of Heidelberg. Small world huh! : )
Are the temperatures you state Fahrenheit or celsius???????? Your receipe is pointless and bound to fail unless you give FULL and accurate information. Thank You, Regards Davina.
ReplyDeleteIt's American measurements. :) Sorry I've made the corrections.
Delete