Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pomegranate Nutty Granola

051.CR2

I love granola. The first time I made my own granola was last year and I've been hooked ever since. There are so many different ways to serve this fun mix. As cereal, over yogurt, mixed in ice cream (though the husband isn't convinced), alone as a snack, over top muffin batter etc etc.
001-1
I wanted to make our favorite Nutty Granola from Ellie Krieger, but I was ready for a change yet still quite nutty, in fact, nuttier. While out at the grocery store,  I strolled past the pomegranate juice and thought, using a pomegranate syrup was a bit more...er sexier. I am a mother of 3, I gotta get my kicks some how ;). Excited, I put my creation to work and came out with some very delicious results. My little ones really loved it, and of course the husband did as well!
073-1.CR2
Note: I like my nuts coarsely chopped, but you can chop them a bit finer if you'd like! If you  do not want to make your own syrup, buy some (if available) or use maple syrup, honey or any other syrupy/gooey sweetener.

Pomegranate Nutty Granola
Print Recipe

For Pomegranate Syrup
2 cups pomegranate juice
1/4 cup sugar
squeeze of lemon


Granola
Pomegranate syrup (above) about 3/4 cup
1/4 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
2.5 cups Old Fashioned Oatmeal
1/2 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup unsalted walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup unsalted pecans, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup unsalted almonds, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pine nuts (optional)
1 teaspoon salt

Directions
Preheat oven to 300F
Add pomegranate juice, lemon juice, and white granulated sugar in small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and stir until sugar's dissolved. Decrease temperature, then simmer over medium to medium low heat until reduced by a little over than half. This should take about 25 minutes altogether together. EYE IT. Allow to cool, juice syrupy texture after cooled. Once cooled, stir in brown sugar well.

Now, add nuts, oatmeal, and  salt to a large bowl.
013-1
Pour syrup mixture over nuts and oats then stir in well.
018
Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray, and spread mixture evenly on sheet. Bake 35 to 40 minutes stirring every 10 minutes. Doesn't it smell divine?
037-1
Allow to cool 30 minutes on cooling rack, then have your way with it!
057

Enjoy!!!

20 comments:

  1. This looks delish, Sommer! Now that I'm a pom convert, I'm always looking for new ways to get those anti-oxidants worked into my cooking. Think I need to make some of this as we love granola over yogurt for snacks or breakfast!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you make it look so easy and straight forward. I am certainly trying this recipe but first I will try out the blueberry cake you made.

    P.S. I would love to help you redesign your wardrobe. I don't believe you have to spend a lot to look good. One key component is fit. If you have something you love that's a little big. Get it tailored. Let me know where you want to start. If you have a color scheme already. If there's colors you want to incorporate. You're so fabulous and I love that you were heals. This should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds baby!! I have been thinking about making this because I buy the boys so much and they love it. It would be a great snack for snack day also. Can't wait to see you to make bread!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see this pomegranate juice at our local supermarket as well. This granola sounds very new and exciting to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only used Pom juice in cocktails before. Perhaps this gives me a chance to do something a little more.. um, productive with it :) Looks beyond delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We must be on the same wavelength, I was craving some homemade granola. Love all the nuts and seeds in here. I do think the pom syrup is a little sexier myself! He He Have a great week!
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love the idea of pomegranate flavors here... granola is always delightful but usually find it with just the honey flavors, this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy I make granola too!! However, I never thought about adding POM juice before!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being a big fat guy I know I should try this, maybe tomorrow! Now I feel guilty! OK ok ok I'm off to the shops for some yoghurt. If I lose any weight Sommer then you are to blame! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha, Marc! I promised a few friends that I'd post more of my healthier recipes. Mix in some chopped fried bacon so you don't have to worry about losing weight ;)

    Monique- I will e-mail you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice job with the syrup use, I had a whole case of this made jams with it, this is a great use of the juice for sure ,healthy and love the granola!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't you just love the tart from pom? I have not had this juice yet, but another brand... isn't it terrific? Even more bitter than cranberry I think?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it's less tart than cranberry juice. It's not as sweet, though! It is very lovely and went with the granola very well!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. such a great combination of nuts here with the Pomegranate syrup. Great for the heart and taste bugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds so yummo! So many of your recipes are tasty and I'm adoring perusing your blog. I'd love for you to come link some of your recipes up over at The Executive Mom. Every Thursday we host an easy recipe linky. We'd love to have you join us!
    http://www.theexecmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds REALLY yummy. I've been looking for some food inspiration for a while, my fiancé is frustrated that I can't think of anything to eat when I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delicious! I will have to make this recipe! Have a great day!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  18. This granola sounds super flavorful. I tried making pomegranate molasses once without a recipe and it didn't come out just right. I'll have to keep this recipe in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks and sounds so yummy!! I've been wanting to make my own granola this looks like the best starter for us!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails